Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On Holiday Part 1 (First day in Ireland)

     For the past few years Paul and I have been planning an adventure to the UK. Paul served his mission in Scotland and has always wanted to take me back there to visit. I have also always wanted to go to Ireland, and while they are so close to each other, I told him If we go to Scotland, we have to go to Ireland also. Well after months of planning and saving, we started our trip out yesterday in the morning.
     Paul and I took a plane from Cedar to SLC. Then from SLC to Detroit where we had some problems getting my tickets printed. The airline company had done something funny and I didn't have a seat but I had a ticket? I dunno, anyway they got us on the plane, and together thankfully and everything was great. So we flew through the night from Detroit to Amsterdam and got there in the morning on Tuesday  (their time), which is like 2 AM ish or something our time. So while I thought I got lots of sleep, I really didn't. We got off this plane to book it to our next flight because we had been delayed in Detroit. We made it through security and onto the plane no problem. This plane took us from Amsterdam to Edinburgh. After this flight we flew through customs and security to get to our last flight to Dublin.
     We made it to our plane in no time. But somehow our luggage didn't make it onto our plane. A little frustrated, we worked out our problem with the customer service people and headed to pick up our car. Low and behold, the car company Paul booked our car through does not allow drivers under 25. They let us book the car no problem but I guess they don't let under 25 drive in Ireland. Thankfully there was a car company that did allow under age drivers. Unfortunately it cost us twice as much as the other company. Oh well. We are here, and we are going to do this trip right.
     After our crazy adventures in the airport we headed out to our first destination. Our B&B is 3 hours from Dublin with some stops along the way. Good thing Paul was driving and awake because I fell asleep multiple times! We first stopped at the Kilkenny Castle. It was rally neat. Imagine a castle, then inside of it, there is a court yard with a massive grass field! I could just imagine myself playing ultimate frisbee in the courtyard of a castle! Now that would be cool! Paul and I walked around for a wee bit, stretched our legs, and found some food.
This is the inside of Kilkenny Courtyard. My first castle


A Massive stump we found and Had to play on for a minute

Another part of the Kilkenny Castle

    Our second stop was the Rock of Cashel. Another castle, and another cool castle. Because of all of our delays we weren't able to tour the castle :( but we were able to look around the outside. I can't believe how amazing these buildings are preserved. It is just incredible.
Paul standing at a wee door at the Rock of Cashel

The Rock of Cashel from a distance. Notice the car on the wrong side of the road. Yeah, that was interesting! I thought we were going to die a few times.


 
      After our stop, we jumped back in the car to head to our beds. We were so exhausted at this point. While we drove through the back country, we enjoyed all the green. Trees and ivy line all the roads. It feels like you are driving through a tunnel of green all the time. It is so beautiful. It is also really fun to look at your spedomitor and realize you are going 130! Ok not 130 mph but kilometers per hour. The number still looks cool though.
    When we got to our B&B the lady said they were having plumbing issues so they sent us to one just up the street. Luckily everything worked out and we have a bed to sleep in. We did have to go to the gas station to buy tooth brushes though. Can you believe we payed 5.39 euros for ONE toothbrush?? We had to buy 2! Thankfully the airline company is going to reimburse us. Ugh!
   Anyway lots of adventures planned for tomorrow and Paul and I are pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment