Thursday, July 25, 2013

Dundee day 2

     Paul and I didn't get up until 8 this morning. We slept for 11 hours. That NEVER happens with Paul. He is always waking up super early in the morning. It was great to get a lot of sleep. We got up and ready for the day and headed out.
     Our first stop was to visit the Gellatly family. We visited with them and had a great chat for a while then set off for St. Andrews. I guess the prince of England had a baby and everyone in St. Andrews is celebrating about it maybe? We were hoping we wouldn't have too many people obsessing over it. We got there and it was drizzling. We walked around the St. Andrews golf course and looked out over the beach.

 A view of the beach near St. Andrews golf course


Us with a cute building in the back

     We kind of started walking down the street to look at some of the buildings. We stopped off for a minute at the St. Andrews Castle. We didn't want to pay to go in, but we took pictures of it from the outside. It is a pretty neat castle, but I have seen lots of other ones that are a little bit cooler than this one so I was ok not going inside. We next came to the ruins of an old cathedral. It was massive and quite impressive. The grave stones there were so old and so impressive.

I found a super cute archway so we HAD to take a picture in it!


The St. Andrews Castle

Part of the cathedral and graveyard

The cute Archway!!! 

A door with the knob in the middle like a hobbit house! I HAD to get a picture with it!! 

     After visiting the cathedral, we walked down to the city centre to find some food. We found a SUPER cute cupcake shop. Now, yesterday, Paul and I had a bet about cupcakes and if I won, he had to buy me a real nice cupcake. I won the bet, so Paul got to buy me a cupcake. I tried to pick one that I didn't really know what it was and sounded sort of Scottish and it tasted great. Paul got something rasberry flavored like usual. They were delicious! Super sugary, but worth the 4 quid we paid for 'em.
   
My yummy cupcake

Paul's yummy cupcake

     We continued to walk down the streets looking for somthing to eat. We saw a sign for an italian sandwich shop and decided to give it a try. The shop had lots of different meats and cheeses that we had never heard of, so we didn't really know what would be good to order. We made our best guess at what would be good and left the shop. Paul lucked out and ordered a good wrap. I managed to choose poorly and got a yucky wrap. The cheese mixed with the half cooked meat did not sit right with me. I ate what I could then decided to see if I could pawn the rest off on Paul. He took a bite and decided that it wasn't amazing, but that he would eat a little bit more. Just as he was taking another bite, a seagull swooped out of the sky and stole the entire wrap out of Paul's hands, wilst smacking Paul in the face with its wing! That was a new experience. Never had an animal take food right out of our hands before. I was grateful I didn't have to eat any more of the rubbish wrap, but I did regret not getting a picture of the bird, and the wrap and Paul's face when everything went down.
    The rest of the day we visited the Dundee city centre and did a little shopping. We had tea (which is what they call dinner here) with the Snee's and watched some football (soccer). Later in the evening the Snee's took us on a drive to see the city from above. They have an overlook where you can see the entire city from. We visited that s well as the church here.
     Dundee has been a blast. I have loved staying with the Snee family. They have been so kind and hospitable. Tomorrow we travel on to Inverness and some other adventures await us.

No comments:

Post a Comment