Friday, August 2, 2013

Edinburgh Day 2

     Paul and I bought these explorer passes the other day to get into a bunch of historic sites for free. Anyway, we wanted to go see the castle in Sterling (just outside of Edinburgh), and figured that since there were multiple other places we could use our passes out there, we would pick a few and make a day of it. Oh, I do need to mention though that for breakfast I tried haggis and it wasn't so great. But I tried it.
     We started out going through and seeing the Sterling castle. Yes, we have been to lots of castles, they all seem similar, but they are also all so different from each other. We had a lot of fun checking everything out.
     Second stop was to a cute little bar to get some sticky toffee pudding. We had a great chat with out waiter about the Mormons and about American politics. It was quite interesting!
     Third stop was a place called Inchmahome Priory. It is some old ruins on an island in the middle of a lake. We took a fun little boat ride out there. Once we got to the island, we took a beautiful little stroll around the whole thing. It was so peaceful and so serene. No wonder the cannons (kinda like monks) chose to build a priory there and study religion there.
     Last stop of the day was at Doune Castle. I guess Doune is mostly known for being used to film several scenes in Monty Python. We got some coconuts from the ticket office and clapped them together while we toured the castle. It was kind of fun. Several people gave us weird looks, but hey, we enjoyed ourselves.
    I am thinking about the two days I have left in Scotland and I am both sad and relieved. I have loved all of the adventures and fun little tours we have done while we are here, but I am definitely ready to have consistency in my life again. My own bed is going to be so nice, and eating healthy and exercising again will be so great. I guess I will have to make the most out of our last two days so that when we come home Monday I will have no regrets!




Touring Sterling Castle, what the queens bedroom might have looked like

Its a unicorn with its tongue out!



Just viewing the landscape



Sitting in the throne room

Paul's turn!

Going down some stairs to the lower parts of the castle



Inside the courtyard


Its a royal toilet!! Sure looks softer than the one I use at home!



Our boat ride out to the Inchmahome Priory

There was a path that went around the whole island


Just a walkin



This crazy tree has all the roots growing sideways but the tree is somehow still growing up and out!



Some of the ruins

An arch! I was obsessed with arches the whole trip!








Its another arch! But this one was huge so it was REALLY cool

Leaving the dock to head back to the mainland






Doune Castle! 

Inside the courtyard of Doune Castle



Having fun with my coconuts!


Paul's attempt at reenacting Monty Python







No comments:

Post a Comment