Thursday, August 1, 2013

Edinburgh Day 1

     I have wanted to go running this whole vacation, and today I really really wanted to, but by the end of the day, I am SO glad that Paul and I didn't go running. At the end of the day I am pretty sure we walked at least 6 miles if not more.
     Today we basically just saw the sights. Paul took me down Princess Street and High Street and The Royal Mile down in the City Centre. We did lots of shopping for souvenirs and decided we spent more money on getting our family and friends things than we spent on getting stuff for us. But we got to come to Scotland so we decided we don't need lots of stuff.
    The Fringe is starting here in Edinburgh. That is where thousands of dancers, actors, comedians and musicians from all over the world come and perform on the streets and in theaters all over Scotland. We watched a few shows and made our way to Edinburgh Castle and ended the evening there. We toured through the huge castle and made our way back to our room.
  I just can't believe how much history there is in this city. The buildings are so old. The architecture is just amazing! I have loved seeing the different styles of buildings and homes in Ireland, Norway, and Scotland. They are all different, and yet similar at the same time.



A cool tower in Edinburgh




Standing in front of Edinburgh Castle

Inside the courtyard of Edinburgh Castle





Check out how red Paul's beard is!!!

Now I know the picture is kind of dark, but this is me standing in the doorway to the cells. They were so tiny. Paul had to duck to walk through them!

Paul posing in front of a cannon


 This is a view of the city from out one of the cannon holes. The ocean is in the background and man was it beautiful!


My turn with the cannon



Look how cheesy we are!


Stained glass window in a cathedral



Edinburgh Castle from a distance. It really is quite huge!



No comments:

Post a Comment