Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Arizona!!

        Paul has a really awesome cousin that lives in Arizona, and we have frequently joked with each other about Paul and I moving to Arizona to live by them. I always thought it would be fun to live there. Its warm all the time, I wouldn't have to worry about snow, and I would live by Summer and Tyler, (who wouldn't want to live by them?).

       Well in order for us to live there, we would have to get jobs there, and the company Paul would like to work for does have an office in Phoenix, but they don't recruit from SUU, so his chances at getting in aren't extremely high. Paul was able to set up and office visit with the McGladrey firm in Phoenix to meet some of the staff and see if he would fit in at their office, (it would also get him a leg up in the hiring process). We set up the visit for over MLK holiday to give us some time to play with Summer and Tyler.

       We got to their place at 1:00 AM Saturday morning. Of course we were wiped out so we went right to bed and slept in pretty good. In the morning, Paul, Tyler and I went for a hike while Summer stayed at home to write a talk, (Summer is eight months pregnant and figured that going on the hike would be a little much for her so she stayed home to get other things done). We hiked a little mountain hill thing called Camel Back. I wish that I would have remembered my camera, because the landscape in Phoenix is pretty interesting. The valley is so very flat, but there are random mountain hill things that rise up in the middle of nowhere. It is really neat looking. Also they have tons and tons of saguaro cacti. I had never seen a saguaro cactus in real life, only in the cartoons, so I really hoped I could take some pictures of them too, but alas, I forgot the stinking camera. Anyway, back to the story, this hike we did was pretty neat. It starts out as an easy dirt trail, that progressively gets more challenging until you are practically bouldering to reach the top. The view was spectacular. You could see for quite a ways in every direction.

      After we got back to Summer and Tyler's place we got all cleaned up and went out for dinner. We went to this cool pizza place called "Oreganos." They specialize in thin crust pizzas. Paul and I went out on a limb and tried their mexican pizza. It was actually quite fantastic. We didn't expect it to be so good, but it sure was. After dinner we went swimming and hot tubbing for a little bit, then went to our traditional dessert restaurant, BJ's. Every time we have gone to California with Summer and Tyler, we would always get a pizookie at BJ's, so it just stands as a tradition that we have to have one when we are together. If you are wondering what a pizookie is, it is the most amazing dessert ever! Its like a half cooked cookie with a scoop of ice cream on top and whipped cream. They are fantasticly delicious goodness! After dessert we came home and went to bed.

       Church was church. Summer gave a great talk, we went to classes, then came home. Paul and I were a little tired so we took a wonderful nap outside, in the sun, in a hammock, AND got a tan. Oh yeah. The 75 degree weather was just about perfect. After our nap we played some games with Summer and Tyler and cooked dinner. For dessert, Summer planned a really fun game. We were split into girls vs boys teams and we had to cook a specific dessert, but Paul and I both had to be blind folded. Summer and Tyler could only tell us what to do. It was supposed to be a competition to see who's dessert came out tasting the best, but they both ended up tasting pretty great. Paul and Tyler finished before Summer and I did, but our food tasted just as good as theirs did.

       Monday morning Paul had his office visit. My plan was to go for a long run come home and do a little shopping with Summer. I went on my nice long 5 mile run, came back, and got ready to go with Summer. By the time we got to the store, Paul was already back from his visit. When we got back from our errands I got all the details out of Paul. He said he loved the offices, and the people and he could see himself working there! Yes! Plus for me! We did talk about how it would be hard to not have grass or seasons, and life would be paced differently in Arizona, but we are just keeping our options open, and we will go where ever the Lord wants us to go.

     Before Paul and I left to head home, we went out and played a nice round of frisbee golf in the beautiful 80 degree weather. I just never imagined being so warm in January, but I loved every minute of it. I did not win of course, but I had fun trying to keep up with the guys. After our game we headed back to Tyler's, packed up and headed home. The drive was quite long, but I didn't fall asleep once!! That is a big deal for me. Every time we drive, I always crash and leave Paul to fend for himself, but somehow I managed to stay awake for the whole 7 hour drive!!

      We don't know where we are headed in the next few years, but I certainly wouldn't mind moving to Arizona. Guess we will just have to see where life takes us!

No comments:

Post a Comment