Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas with the Blatter's

       After five long days of school, (long only because I was ready to be on vacation as much as my students were), Paul and I were finally able to head up to Salt Lake again for another Christmas.
       We started the break off right with a snowboarding trip to Snowbird (12/22/12). My dad, Uncle Tim, cousin Brytt, Tyson, Yulia, Paul and myself all took a trip to Snowbird for some winter fun. Last time we went snowboarding Paul got injured and still hasn't completely recovered from it, so he was semi hesitant to go with me this time. I tried to convince him to try skiing this year in stead of snowboarding. Skiing is usually easier to learn and not as hard on your body as snowboarding is. Paul decided to give skiing a try. I was really excited that he was willing to come with me.

       I was really hoping that we would get some good snow before I hit the slopes, but I wasn't that lucky. The snow was decent, but a little icy in some spots. Yulia had never been skiing before she she decided to stick with the "bunny hill" while the rest of us ventured to the more intense things. Paul got tired half day and decided not to take chances getting hurt again. Sadly he just waited for us in the car while we had fun without him. The rest of us hit the good spots on slopes for a few hours.
       On sunday we decided to have an ugly sweater party, play games and drive around to look at the lights. I know we looked like crazies in our mismatched clothes, but i love my family no matter how crazy we look!

 Kalena and I showing off our smexy ugly sweaters and muck-lucks :)




       The Blatter family all dressed up in their lovely Ugly sweaters! Oh how I just love my family!!!




      Christmas Eve our plans were kind of crushed because the snow made it too difficult to go sledding. Every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember we have gone sledding up Big Cottonwood Canyon at Donut Falls. And this year because it was snowing so bad, we decided not to go just because it was too dangerous to drive up the canyon. Instead Paul, my siblings, and I all built a pretty sweet snow fort in our front yard. It was literally big enough to fit five people in there. Then we had the Mustoe's over for dinner and the Nativity, (which has been a tradition as well for as long as I can remember). Paul and I had to leave my parent's a little early because Paul's little brother Jonathan, (who is on a mission),  was calling from the Philippines, (guess they are a day ahead or something). We got to talk to his brother, then went back to my parents for the anual opening of the Christmas pajamas. Then off to bed we went so Santa could come to our house.

       Christmas morning Tallus and Kessla were up ridiculously early. Paul, being the awesome brother in law got up early and looked for stockings with them. I tried to sleep in as long as possible. I finally got out of bed at 7:30 AM, (like two hours after Paul got up), and went in search of my stocking. My dad had to help me find mine because Santa hid it so stinking well! We opened stockings, got my family up, and opened presents together.
         Our family has a tradition where we draw a family name and have to hand make a gift for them that year. Every year the opening of the homemade gifts is my favorite part. I just love to see what everyone is able to come up with, and there is just so much meaning behind everything that gets made. Sorry, got a little sidetracked, anyway, this year my sister Kalena drew my name and she made me these amazing almost footie pajamas with out feet! LOVED them! My mom drew Paul and she made him a ladder ball game (so stinking cool). I got Yulia this year so I made her a pretty sweet quilt with lots of little hedgehogs (she loves hedgehogs). The look on her face was priceless when she opened it up and saw what it was.

        Tanner got to call us on Christmas from Peru and spend about an hour talking with everyone. We used Skype so we could see him and he could see us. It was kind of fun to see how much he has changed the past year and a half. After our phone call with Tanner we went to see The Hobbit, (another tradition my family has is to go see a movie Christmas afternoon or evening). After the movie we all pretty much went to bed early since we all got early this morning.
       The day after Christmas we did a little shopping to get everything we needed for our trip to the East Coast.
       All in all, my Christmas can be summed up as AMAZING!!! The time spent with my family this year was so wonderful. No one fought with each other (too much), and the spirit of Christmas was abounding everywhere.

     Stay tuned for adventures in South Carolina!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment