Sunday, June 12, 2016

Payson Lakes Camping Trip

       I was a little bit bummed out that we didn't get to go on the Blatter family back packing trip this year because Paul had a business trip, and my in-laws had a vacation planned the 3 days I needed someone to watch Jace. But thats okay. We made up for it by going on a small 3 day camping trip just as a little family of 3 (and a half). We wanted to go down to southern Utah, but the friends we had hoped to visit were busy and couldn't do anything. So we decided to stay a little closer to home and go to the campsite of Paul's childhood, Payson Lakes.
      We were able to borrow a canoe from Paul's aunt, but the tricky thing was that this said canoe is stored at his cousins house, who was currently on a 4 week vacation with their family. We were able to get into the garage with a garage code, but the canoe was on a pulley system up against the wall, as well as smushed in between their suburban, (to which we did not have any keys for). No worries though! We managed to get it out with no injuries. Getting it back in is a whole other story though! After we managed to get the canoe out and strapped to our car we were on our way.
       An hour or so later we made it to the camp site. Jace had fallen asleep on the way up, but was wide awake at this point. We started unloading and got the tent all pulled out. Jace was so excited to help dad us a hammer to get the stakes in. He is still learning how to use the hammer the right way, but he is getting better. With the tent set up and everything mostly unloaded we took a trip down to the lake. Jace had a ball throwing rocks into the water and looking for fish in the lake. He also loved to search out the Pot Guts and watch them crawl around and search for scraps of food left out, or dropped.
      The first night up there I realized that I left my pillow at home. I am learning that doing that is a big no no if I want to get any sleep at all. I don't sleep well without a pillow in general, let alone my specific pillow that is so perfectly shaped and fluffed just the right amount. Needless to say, I didn't sleep super well that night. Paul and I tried to steal Jace's pillow from him, but he wouldn't have any of it! He did not want to share one little bit. So we tried to make do with our beach towels from our bag. The next night we stole a few of Jaces 15 blankets to make ourselves somewhat of a pillow. We slept a little better the second night. Lest be honest though, being pregnant and sleeping on an air mattress isn't the best nights sleep anyway.
      On the morning of day 2 we took our canoe out on the lake. It was still pretty chilly outside so we didn't get to play in the water. But thats okay. Jace was really unsure about the boat at first. When he got in and then Paul tried to get in, the boat was really wobbly and Jace didn't like that a whole lot. He cried for the first 3 or so minutes of the ride until he realized that everything was going to be okay. Jace's favorite part was going fast. He would ask us to go fast, fast, fast. He loved it! But coming back onto shore was also not a favorite. We spent a good hour or so out on the lake watching people fish, and watching fish jump. Then we headed back to camp. We needed to run into town and get ice because we didn't think we had enough to keep our cooler cold the rest of the trip.
     Jace slept most of the drive down and even slept after we got back up from picking up ice. Paul and I were tired and tried to take a nap, well let me clarify. I tried to nap. Paul was, of course, out like a log. I got maybe 10 minutes of sleep before Jace woke up. So I tried to get him to play in the tent and cuddle so we could sleep a little bit longer. After 15 minutes of that, he was ready to be out and playing. So I took him out of the tent to eat and play while Paul finished his nap. I think I tried to nap after Paul got up, but it wasn't happening. So we went on a walk down by the lake again.
    Funnily enough, we ran into one of Paul's co workers twice while we were out walking around the lake. He had brought his boys up fishing, (just for the day), but we managed to be taking a walk both days while he was there. Crazy. We didn't really get into our suits and play on the water, (which i am bummed about now, but thats okay. The day we left it was just about ready to rain so we didn't play in the water that day either.
       The last day we mostly just packed up, had an awesome breakfast, and headed home. After sleeping on the ground for a few nights we were ready for our own bed (and pillows!!) While Trying to put the canoe away, Paul accidentally dropped the nose of the canoe onto my neck/collarbone. He was trying to figure out the pulley system and didn't realize that if he pulled one end it would release the other. It scared me half to death. I was worried he had broken my collar bone, but he didn't. Just a nice little road rash, bruise, and some bleeding. The next day at church everyone thought that I had a hickey. It was pretty great.
   
Paul trying to get the canoe safely tied down to the car.

All strapped and ready to go

Jace is totally passed out in the back, but we are excited about our family get away

Jace has his hammer and is ready to help dad out

The boys using their muscles to get the stakes hammered into the ground

Jace figuring out the ropes of the campsite

Jace was so excited every time he would see a pot gut, he of course had to point them all out to us. 

Jus chillin in our chairs waiting for our dinners to cook.

Jace's all time favorite thing to do was throw rocks into the lake. We would walk around the whole lake picking up rocks just to throw into the water.

He ran out of ammo and was headed to go find some more. 

Jace and dad just chillin

Jace was almost actually smiling in this picture. It was kind of cute. 

Jace with mom. I hardly hold him these days because my belly is so in the way, but he sure loves it when I do hold him. 

The lake view from the dock.

We were trying to get Jace to smile, but he was looking directly into the sun

There goes his rock! 

We thought there might be a forest fire in the area because of the clouds/smoke around the sun. What ever it was, it made for a gorgeous sunset. 

Jace has started to develop a love of frisbee, (which I am really excited about). He is starting to get the hang of throwing it. He probably throws it in front of him 50% of the time. The other 50% it ends up swinging back behind him. Slowly though he will figure it out! He already has his dives down pat though! ;)

Jace and Dad are cookin us some breakfast

I had to document Paul doing his thing. 

I tried really hard to get a picture of Jace with me, but the sun was coming from all sorts of weird angles

I asked Jace to show me his chompers so I could hopefully get a picture of him smiling. This is the result! I have to say though that I love this picture and the next two. I pretty much laugh every time i see them because his face is so darn cute!

Chomper picture number 2

Chomper picture number 3 

The next two pictures are attempted smiles and I love them also. His face is so silly but so cute. I can't believe I managed to catch them on camera! 

Seriously just makes me giggle and love him even more every time I see these pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment